Menu More MORE
Roadside... Roadside Assistance


Dead auto batteries and old safety seats collected at all Hampton Roads locations

battery service tech with truck behind checks battery

Virginia Beach, VA (April 3, 2014) – Each year, approximately 97 percent of vehicle batteries are recycled. Unfortunately, the remaining 3 percent add up to millions of pounds of lead and gallons of sulfuric acid. These can be discharged into the environment, creating health and safety hazards for humans and animals, as well as a potential fire hazard.

Nationally, AAA has recycled more than 2 million automotive batteries and continues to promote the environmental importance of recycling this essential automotive part that 100 million U.S. motorists replace each year.  For 2014, AAA Tidewater has expanded their recycling efforts by also collecting used, old, or damaged child safety seats for recycling as well as used automobile batteries.

In recognition of Earth Day 2014, from now until May 3rd, all AAA Tidewater Car Care Centers (see locations below) are accepting dead automobile batteries and old, used child safety seats for recycling.  Anyone bringing in a battery or seat will receive a $5 gift card for helping AAA clean up the environment (limit 3 gift cards per person while supplies last). Locations include:

  • Norfolk Car Care Center- 5732 Virginia Beach Blvd.
  • Hampton Car Care Center- 1520 Aberdeen Rd.
  • Chesapeake – 1023 S. Battlefield Blvd.
  • Virginia Beach- 1424 Great Neck Rd.
  • Suffolk- 3529 Bridge Rd.
  • Williamsburg – 6517 Richmond Rd.

AAA Tidewater is sponsoring the AAA Recycling Zone at the Mount Trashmore Earth Day Celebration 2014 on May 3rd. The recycling zone is open from 11am to 4:00pm at Mount Trashmore Park. A wide variety of items will be accepted for free recycling at the event. A complete listing of items can be found at This event is FREE and open to the public.

As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers.  For more information, visit and follow us on Twitter at or on Facebook at


AAA news releases, high resolution images, broadcast-quality video, fact sheets and podcasts are available on the AAA NewsRoom at

Stay connected with AAA on the web via:

CST 1016202-80 Copyright © Tidewater Automobile Association of Virginia, Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
AAA Tidewater Virginia is a member club affiliated with the American Automobile Association (AAA) national federation and serves members in the Tidewater Virginia region (All Hampton Roads cities, including Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg; Virginia's Eastern Shore; as well as the following counties: Greensville, Surry, Brunswick, Isle of Wight, Gloucester, Lancaster, Middlesex, Richmond County, Southampton, Sussex, Mecklenburg, James City County, York, Lunenburg, Essex, King & Queen, Mathews, Northumberland, and Westmoreland).