VIRGINIA BEACH, VA, (September 25, 2015) – AAA Tidewater will host a “Senior Driver Day @ AAA” in Virginia Beach to provide senior drivers with information to keep them driving as long as possible and as safely as possible. The event is scheduled for October 10th from 10am until 2pm and will be held at AAA Tidewater Corporate Office located at 5366 Virginia Beach Blvd in Virginia Beach. The free event is open to all older drivers and their adult children.
Similar to popular community health-care events, AAA Senior Driver Day will offer presentations and hands-on activities with the opportunity to sample AAA’s suite of research-based senior driver resources. Attendees will have access to tools that can help assess and improve driving skills, reduce driving risks and foster dialogue between adult children and their senior parents about driving issues. There will be a CarFit station, free battery and tire checks courtesy of AAA Car Care Center technicians, and information on driver improvement classes. In addition, many of AAA’s other services will be on hands to provide information.
“Research shows that nearly one-in-three Americans don’t know where to turn for information on senior driver issues,” said Georjeane Blumling, vice president of public affairs for AAA Tidewater. “AAA’s Senior Driver Day will help families learn how to prepare for and address the challenges senior drivers face as a result of the natural, inevitable consequences of aging.”
“We are excited about the opportunity to provide seniors in Hampton Roads with information they can use to continue to drive as safe as possible for as long as possible”, said Blumling. “This is a topic that will affect each of us at some point in our driving lives. Giving senior drivers and their adult children tools to help meet the challenge of making the transition from driver to full time passenger is a key element in the process.”
Several AAA senior driver safety resources on display will include:
- AAASeniors.com – A one-stop online resource that offers expert advice and science-based tools and programs to help families navigate the issues associated with senior driving and mobility.
- AAA Roadwise Review – A computer-based screening tool that allows users to measure the functional abilities scientifically linked to crash risk among older drivers.
- CarFit – A community-based program that offers older adults the opportunity to check how well their personal vehicles “fit” them for maximum comfort and safety.
- Smart Features for Mature Drivers – A guide that identifies vehicle features that can assist drivers with the visual, physical and mental changes that are frequently encountered as they age.
- AAA Roadwise Rx – An online resource that can identify potential dangerous interactions of medications that can adversely affect driving skills for older drivers.
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or on Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia