Being stranded on the side of the road or crashing into another vehicle is a frightening thought to many experienced drivers. It can be even more frightening to a new driver. Too often new drivers are simply thrilled to be driving with little thought give to vehicle maintenance. The idea of proper vehicle maintenance tends to come later; and sometimes the lesson is learned too late. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 43 percent of crashes reportedly caused by maintenance failure were due to tire/wheel degradation or failure. Brake failure/degradation was found to be the cause in 25 percent of maintenance failure crashes.
A few tips from AAA Tidewater Virginia that will help new drivers keep themselves safe on the road and save
money in the process:
- Educate yourself on what each alarm icon on the vehicle means and perform maintenance when prompted.
- Check the vehicle’s engine fluids such as the oil, transmission fluid, coolant, and windshield wiper fluid.
- Check the battery more in the winter and summer because extreme temperatures reduce the battery’s efficiency. Make sure that cableconnections are tight and free of corrosion.
- Check the brakes any time they make unusual noises or if the pedal pulsates when it is pressed.
- Check the lights regularly to save you the costs and hassles of a crash or traffic fine.
- Check your owner’s manual and follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule.
Preventive maintenance should be scheduled to keep the vehicle safely on the road and save money. AAA Tidewater Virginia offers free 40-point maintenance inspections at all AAA Car Care Centers in Hampton Roads. AAA also inspects and certifies other auto repair facilities across the U.S. to insure the public receives high quality workmanship. Shops must meet and maintain stringent quality standards for customer service,
training, equipment and cleanliness to be a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility. There are nearly 8,000 AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities across North America. They can be located online at AAA.com/repair.
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATWnews.