VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (December 26, 2014) - AAA wants motorists to keep themselves and others safe and avoid DUI arrests by following these safe driving tips over the long New Year’s holiday:
- At social events, designate a non-drinking driver who can get everyone home safely.
- Call a friend or family member for a ride if you've been drinking.
- Keep a cab company telephone number in your wallet so you can call for a ride home.
- As a party host, offer a variety of non-alcoholic drink alternatives, provide a gift to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers and arrange transportation through programs, such as Tow To Go, for guests who have been drinking.
- Take the car keys away from friends and relatives who have had too much to drink.
While New Year’s is a special time to connect with friends and family, it is also one of the deadliest times for alcohol related traffic crashes and fatalities. Drinking drivers frequently fail to seek and obtain alternative ways to get home because they are concerned about retrieving their vehicle, the expense of taxis and the inconvenience of alternative transportation. As a part of the overall community effort to decrease DUI fatalities, AAA Tidewater is once again offering the Two to Go service in Hampton Roads. The goal of the program is to provide a safe alternative to drinking and driving on area roads.
- Services limited to the Greater Hampton Roads area including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown, and Williamsburg.
- Free and available to both AAA members and non-members
- The AAA tow truck takes the vehicle and the driver home
Tow to Go Service Area(s)
The Greater Hampton Roads Area
(757)- 631-1700 or 1-(800)-AAA-HELP
Callers simply tell the dispatcher, "I need a Tow To Go," to receive both the free tow and ride home.
Callers need to keep in mind that the service excludes rides for passengers, is restricted to a one-way, one-time ride for the driver, and the destination is limited to the driver’s residence. Reservations are not accepted, and the tows are available within the greater Hampton Roads area. This service is provided free of charge to prevent alcohol-related car crashes.
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or on Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia
AAA news releases, high resolution images, broadcast-quality video, fact sheets and podcasts are available on the AAA NewsRoom at AAA.com/news.