VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (December 17, 2013) - Holiday gatherings of celebration with family and friends can be exhilarating. Whether it’s a short trip to a family member’s house or a vacation to the mountains it’s important to get there safely. According to the DMV Highway Safety Office, 26 fatalities occurred on the road last year in only a 10 day span surrounding Christmas and New Year’s Eve. AAA has simple tips to help make your drive a smooth and safe one without incident.
- Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained. If maintenance is not up to date, have your car and tires inspected before you take a long drive.
- Map your route in advance and be prepared for busy roads during the most popular times of the year. If possible, consider leaving earlier or later to avoid heavy traffic.
- Have roadside assistance contact information on hand, in case an incident occurs on the road.
- In case of an emergency, keep a cell phone and charger with you at all times. AAA Tidewater and many other companies offer smartphone applications that enable motorists to request help without making a phone call.
- Make sure you and your passengers are properly restrained in seat belts and car safety seats. Remember, the rear seat is the safest place for children of any age to ride.
- Stay fresh and alert when driving. Take plenty of breaks and do not push yourself to meet an unrealistic schedule. If you get tired, pull off the road into a rest area or business
- If there will be drinking at your holiday get-together, choose a designated driver who will remain alcohol free.
- Because driving requires your full attention, pull off the road if you have to use your cellular phone.
In addition, AAA offers Driving Resources:
- Roadside assistance – includes lockout service, flat tire change, towing and more.
- Trip Planning and Maps – trip planning tools to simplify traveling
- Mobile and GPS Solutions – offers a mobile app that will provide information and several services
- Gas Prices – information on over 100,000 gas stations in Virginia
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATWnews.
AAA news releases, high resolution images, broadcast-quality video, fact sheets and podcasts are available on the AAA NewsRoom at AAA.com/news.