VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., (May 24, 2016) – AAA expects over one million people across the Commonwealth to head out to celebrate Memorial Day this year. Most of them (970,850) will be hitting the road during the long holiday weekend. Gas prices are down from last year at $2.13 in Virginia, making the road trip less costly. “This Memorial Day, families in Virginia will celebrate and honor our military with friends and family,” said Georjeane Blumling, Vice President of Public Affairs for AAA Tidewater Virginia. “Students are also celebrating a break from pencils and books, making this an ideal time for a little family vacation.”
AAA offers the following tips to make those road trips both fun and safe.
Car Care Tips:
- Oil - Check both the level and condition of the car’s motor oil. Consult the owner’s manual for recommended oil change interval and suggested grade of oil.
- Battery - Make sure the battery terminals and cables are securely attached and free of corrosion.
- Radiator - Check the antifreeze/coolant level and top off with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water if needed. Do not remove the radiator pressure cap when the engine is hot.
- Tires - Check the air pressure and look for damage, bulges, and excessive or uneven tread wear.
- Windshield Wipers - Make sure your wipers can keep your windshield clean and streak-free.
- Light and Signals - Check headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Keep all lights clear of dirt, especially headlights.
- Use headlights at all times – so others see your vehicle more easily.
- Emergency Kit - Should include water, non-perishable food items, jumper cables, a flashlight with extra batteries, road flares or an emergency beacon, basic hand tools, and a first aid kit.
- Check the weather forecasts along your planned route – so you are prepared for conditions.
- Make sure you are well rested.
- Share the driving duties with other passengers.
- Always Buckle Your Seat Belt and put children under 8 in appropriate child safety restraints.
- Keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road, and your mind on your driving.
- Stay abreast of local forecasts both at your departure city and your destination
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or on Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia