VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (November 1, 2019) – Sunday, November 3rd, at 2 am daylight savings time ends allowing us an extra hour to sleep. The down side is starting on Monday there may be less light as we head to work and school and more darkness after work for many motorists. The time change may also cause the sun to be at eye level on the morning drive, causing more glare. AAA Tidewater recommends drivers use additional caution and modify their driving habits, especially during the first weeks after daylight savings time ends, when everyone is still adjusting to the time change.
“Fatigue can impair safe driving, causing drivers to behave in ways similar to those who are intoxicated,” said Georjeane Blumling, spokesperson for AAA Tidewater Virginia. “In preparation for the holiday driving season and with many young drivers heading home for Thanksgiving break, AAA is drawing attention to this often overlooked crash risk that is a serious threat to everyone’s safety on the road.”
AAA urges drivers to take note of the warning signs of drowsy driving:
- The inability to recall the last few miles traveled
- Having disconnected or wandering thoughts
- Having difficulty focusing or keeping your eyes open
- Feeling as though your head is very heavy
- Drifting out of your driving lane, perhaps driving on the rumble strips
- Accidentally tailgating other vehicles
- Missing traffic signs
Tips for avoiding drowsy driving:
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Plan to drive long trips with a companion.
- Take a nap.
- Take regular breaks.
- Avoid alcohol and medications that might impair your alertness
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 330,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia.