VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (January 22, 2021) – National Plan for Vacation Day takes place on January 26, 2021 as a day set aside for Americans to plan their vacation days for the entire year. While much of the country continues to face rising case numbers and travel restrictions, National Plan for Vacation Day is a chance to do what is safe and productive: plan.
COVID-19 is affecting all aspects of life, including travel. As we accommodate health and safety protocols and other restrictions in an effort to slow the spread, staying home and social distancing remain critical. However, despite this, nearly 60% of 2020 paid time off was used to travel away from home, according to U.S. Travel Association. Yet, more than 33% of vacation time accrued by American workers were left unused, which in some cases equivalated to 6 vacation days.
“It’s been a stressful year for many of us. And what better way to lower your stress than to plan a day to travel? By committing to planning on January 26, Americans can all enjoy the many benefits of taking a break while giving themselves something to look forward to when it becomes safe to travel again—and AAA Tidewater has some great ideas to help you plan your perfect getaway,” said Holly Dalby, director of public affairs for AAA Tidewater.
For travel planners, AAA offers essential information and resources to guide future vacations. Check these out:
- AAA Travel Guides – Find expert insight about where to go, how to get around, what to do and see, and what not to miss. These vacation planners offer suggested itineraries and more to help you best know how to plan a trip without missing anything along the way.
- The Great American Road Trip – See the 11 most popular road trips in America along with travel tips and expert advice from AAA Travel Inspectors and editors that will inspire you and help you find AAA Diamond designated hotels along the way.
- Travel Agents - Knowledgeable AAA travel agents can help travelers assess their options and serve as their advocate in case any changes to travel plans are needed.
- Travel Insurance - Consider purchasing travel insurance to protect vacation investments. It’s important to review your options with a travel adviser as many travel protection plans exclude losses caused by an epidemic.
- AAA’s Best of Housekeeping badge – Look for a hotel that has earned the AAA Inspector's Best of Housekeeping badge. While all AAA Diamond designated properties must pass a comprehensive inspection, hotels that display the Inspector's Best of Housekeeping badge have achieved the highest possible scores for cleanliness, surpassing expectations, demonstrating housekeeping excellence for two consecutive inspections and are free of AAA member complaints. AAA is working with its industry partners to review its inspection process and standards to ensure they reflect the COVID-19 realities of today.
- Road Trip Ready – If your car hasn’t hit the road in a while, AAA encourages you to take some simple steps to keep you and your vehicle safe. Use this car care checklist to ensure your vehicle is ready for summer travel.
For more information and to get started planning a trip, visit AAA.com/AAAVacations
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 350,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia.