VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (Monday, December 23, 2013) – The holidays are upon us and so are busy roadways full of holiday travelers headed out to celebrate with family, friends and loved ones. More than 2.7 million Virginia residents are embarking on their Christmas time road trips. AAA Tidewater is urging motorists to exercise extreme caution on the highway during the entire holiday travel period.
With nine out of ten holiday travelers (2.4 million Virginians) driving to their destinations during the extended travel season, AAA is reminding highway users to be extra diligent about the dangers of impaired driving particularly when holiday partygoers may risk getting behind the wheel after a festive evening. According to traffic crash data provided by Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), December is the most dangerous month of the year in Virginia as alcohol-related crashes account for 788 preventable “accidents” last year.
“Motorists should be aware of the high crash risk associated with drinking and driving especially this time of the year,” said Georjeane Blumling, Vice President of Public Affairs for AAA Tidewater Virginia. “As an advocate for motorists, we urge everyone to think before they drink this season and plan for a designated driver, to take a cab, or take advantage of one of the area programs for a safe ride home.”
According to the latest data from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety’s annual Traffic Safety Culture Index, one in five of all licensed drivers, reported having driven when they thought their alcohol level might have been close to, or possibly over, the legal limit in the past year. “The survey also reveals that 96 percent of drivers consider impaired driving to be unacceptable. Unfortunately, it seems that attitudes and the behaviors of drinking and driving just don’t add up”, added Blumling.
AAA Tidewater is once again offering a safe ride program called ‘Tow To Go’ in the Hampton Roads community this holiday season. The goal of the program is to provide a safe alternative to drinking and driving on area roads. The service will be available in greater Hampton Roads until 6:00 a.m. on January 1st, 2014.
AAA Tow to Go Service:
- Service is only provided in the Greater Hampton Roads area which includes Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown, and Williamsburg.
- The program is available to AAA members and non-members at no charge.
- The program is not a substitute for designated drivers.
- No reservations allowed.
- The only service that is to be provided under “Tow to Go” is towing to the individual’s residence.
- Service will be provided to “regular” vehicles only – no excessively large trucks or RV’s.
- The tow truck can only allow the owner/driver of the vehicle and one additional passenger in the tow truck.
- Call 757)- 631-1700 or 1-(800)-AAA-HELP Callers simply tell the dispatcher, "I need a Tow To Go," to receive both the free tow and ride home.
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 325,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATWnews.