VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., (June 29, 2016) – AAA projects that 87 percent of travelers in Virginia will be taking to the roads this Independence Day. Virginia is expecting 1,181,377 to travel this holiday either on the road, in the air, or by other modes of transportation. This represents the highest Fourth of July travel volume on record. The holiday travel period is defined as Thursday, June 30 to Monday, July 4.
“More Virginians are traveling the roads this holiday weekend,” said Georjeane Blumling, Vice President of Public Affairs for AAA Tidewater Virginia. “It is important for drivers to be prepared for the trip as they celebrate our nation’s freedom with their friends and family over the long holiday weekend.”
AAA offers the following tips to make those road trips both fun and safe.
Car Care Tips:
- Oil - Check both the level and condition of the car’s motor oil. Consult the owner’s manual for recommended oil change interval and suggested grade of oil.
- Battery - Make sure the battery terminals and cables are securely attached and free of corrosion.
- Radiator - Check the antifreeze/coolant level and top off with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water if needed. Do not remove the radiator pressure cap when the engine is hot.
- Tires - Check the air pressure and look for damage, bulges, and excessive or uneven tread wear.
- Windshield Wipers - Make sure your wipers can keep your windshield clean and streak-free.
- Light and Signals - Check headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Keep lights clean of dirt and sludge, especially headlights
- Emergency Kit - The kit should include water, non-perishable food items, jumper cables, a flashlight with extra batteries, road flares or an emergency beacon, basic hand tools, and a first aid kit.
- Check the weather forecasts along your planned route.
- Make sure you are well rested.
- Share the driving duties with other passengers.
- Always Buckle Your Seat Belt.
- Keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road, and your mind on your driving.
- Stay abreast of local forecasts both at your departure city and your destination
- Heed all evacuation advisories and/or orders
As part of North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA Tidewater Virginia provides its more than 330,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding AAA Tidewater Virginia has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. For more information, visit AAA.com and follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/AAATidewaterVA or on Facebook at facebook.com/AAATidewaterVirginia